Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cafe 110

gI was really excited when I got the chance to go here!
You will find that a reoccurring theme, I am sure.

I had out of town guest come and we were meeting for breakfast before they left. They suggested Denny's...don't get me wrong I love Denny's, many good teenage memories from there...but this was a chance I had be waiting for...a reason to try a restaurant!
See, I live with a few very unadventurous souls. They do not like to go out unless they know what to expect (that is another reason for this blog, to check a place out before taking them there) So here was a glorious opportunity to eat at a spot I have wanted to try and perhaps open the door to future dining.

Joyfully my guests agreed to try it out...I didn't mention that I had not eaten there yet and they were part of my experiment...hehe.


I arrived first and was seated right away. I must say I loved walking into the place. They are under construction I guess...perhaps expanding? I did not ask. So the front looks a bit discouraging, and the lot was rather empty. I got there at just about 9am. there was one car in the lot. If they hadn't pulled in just before me I would have been afraid the place was closed for construction. Thankfully that was not the case.
There was a chill in the air as I crossed the lot, enough that you hurry to get inside. It felt very warm and welcoming as I came in. I liked the cozy entry.
There was a sign saying 'wait to be seat', and I had barely a chance to look around before a lady was there to seat me. I let her know I was meeting 2 others and they would be in soon. I already knew what we wanted to drink...hot chocolate...so I asked for it as I was being seated.

The menu was pretty small but I still had a hard time deciding what I was going to get... I wasn't very adventurous in my choice. I decided on french toast as that is my life long favorite breakfast.
and really... if you screw up french toast there is no hope for you. I guess it was like giving a test that you have to work at to fail.

The hot chocolate came out in good time and instantly get big points cuz it had whipped cream and chocolate drizzled on top! I loved that it was served in a glass mug rather then the usual coffee cup.

I waited for my guests, sipping hot chocolate and looking around. the dining area was small but didn't feel crowded, of course that could have been from the fact that only 4 other tables were occupied. you could hear the sounds of the kitchen, but in a good background sort of way. All the guests I saw come in were seated quickly and drinks seemed to come out in a good time as well. There looks to be art for sale on the walls...again, I did not ask, I will try to be more chatty in the future if that helps others. I really like the vase of real flowers on the tables, just a few sprigs in each but very nice.
I chuckled to myself at the menus...they look as though they were held together with tape.

My guest arrived and so did my food!
It was served on 2 separate plates... the french toast on one platter and a side of country potatoes and bacon on a smaller one. I was given a small dish with a scoop of butter and a small craft of syrup. I am not a syrup fan so I reached for the strawberry jelly instead. There was a selection of jelly on the table in little packets that reminded me of diners old diners when I was a kid.

The toast was sliced so they were each a triangle, sprinkled with powdered sugar and garnished with an orange slice. The French toast was excellent! A hint of cinnamon and a bit of citrus...possibly from the garnish. The outside was a perfect crispness and the inside was cook through without being dry.
I know I said french toast is a breakfast test you have to work at to fail, so perhaps it was too easy but they most certainly passed!
After one unadjusted bite I slathered on the butter and jelly and enjoyed every bite!

I hadn't realized it would be served with potatoes...perhaps I hadn't read the menu well enough...but I was pleased. I had briefly looked for hash browns and hadn't spotted them before I ordered.
The country potatoes were nice and golden brown, with a few over done pieces on the plate. I really had no preconceived idea on how they would taste as I wasn't expecting them in the first place...so that first bite was GREAT! The were seasoned just right without being too salty or greasy.

I had chosen the applewood bacon instead of the sausage or ham that was offered. The bacon was a little crisper then I like it, I'm not a crisp bacon fan...it tastes over cooked to me. But this was nice. I really loved the flavor! In fact I was surprised by the flavor! I was expecting that over-cooked-bacon-taste and got a mouth full of smoky goodness. It would probably been one of the best bacon I had eaten if it wasn't for the crispness. But hey, if you like crisp bacon you will love this!

The cost of the whole meal was hidden from me as my quests decided to treat me. But The price on the menu for the french toast was 8$. Most of the other meals were around $8-10.
The atmosphere was pleasant and the service was rather good. She checked on us without being pushy or absent. Overall the entire experience was pleasant...the food was good, the servers pleasant, the decor pleasant... It is an excellent place for a nice way to start your day!
I look forward to returning and trying something new!

~A~

No comments:

Post a Comment